WHAT’S IN MY SJ?
By guest blogger Jessica Graves of The Love List
1. The unbelievable amount of comments I get on this makeup bag alone has made it worth the purchase price. Every time it ends up in a tweet or Instagram, I have tons of people ask me about it. The print is killer, but what I love most is the size. It’s just big enough that I don’t have to cram in all my necessities when traveling – there’s room enough for everything, so I don’t have to sacrifice any important items. Here’s what I normally tote around in there. . .
2. Sephora Brand Waterproof Jumbo Eyeliner Crayon I live in Atlanta, Georgia, and that sticky Southern heat can melt the makeup right off your face in the summer. I love this little magic stick – it smudges when I want it to, and then stays in place all day.
3. Essie “E-nuf is E-nuf” Nail Polish I have manicure ADD, but this punchy shade of coral red is a year-round favorite. It’s my default when a trendier shade just isn’t doing it for me.
4. Mason Pearson Comb I’ve had this comb for years, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I use it to comb conditioner through my hair in the shower or freshen up a dry blowout. The investment in a Mason Pearson item is well worth it.
5. Kiehl’s Creme de Corps Body Lotion If I could buy this in a gallon jug, I probably would. It’s my “desert island” beauty item – no lotion works better or lasts longer, and I love that it doesn’t have any sort of fruity smell.
6. NARS Lip Glosses (pictured L-R in Place Vendome, Wonder, and Coeur Sucre) They’re easy to apply and look great on my olive skin – I have a darker complexion in the summer because I tan easily, and the vivid shades keep my lips from fading into my face!
7. Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte Normally, Chanel’s scents are a little mature for my taste, and I feel like everybody in college wore Chance, so I didn’t even shop the Chanel counter until I went to a little fete the company threw in Palm Beach. This perfume was in the gift bag, and I haven’t stopped wearing it since. It’s so fresh and bright!
8. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude I don’t do foundation or any kind of heavy makeup. Somehow, this miraculous moisturizer has just enough tint to it to hide any little sins in your complexion while letting your real skin shine through. I’ve since gifted it to my sister and my Mom, and they’re hooked too. Even better? SPF 20!
9. Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 No fuss, no scent, no color, no gunk, just moisture. My house is littered with tubes of this stuff; I keep it in every desk drawer and purse pocket I have.
10. Bosica Luminizing Black Mask This stuff is total voodoo. I have no idea what’s in it or why it works so well, but it’s like conducting a really fun science experiment on your face. It peels off in one big piece once it dries and takes all the icky stuff on your skin with it – just keep it away from your eyebrows!
11. NARS blush in Mata Hari It looks super bright in the compact, but I promise, it gives you the perfect note of pinky flush to your cheeks. It’s the only blush I ever wear anymore!
12. YSL Volume Effect Mascara in Noir I think full-size tubes of mascara dry out way too fast for their price, so I always scoop up samples when I can. This is what I currently have cracked open, and I’m digging it.
13. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage For those mornings when I was hooting with the night owls, a little touch of this under the eyes, and nobody ever has to know how many gin cocktails I downed the night before 😉
Jess Graves, a Ft. Worth, Texas, native spent the brunt of her childhood under the Spanish moss eating oysters on the state line of South Georgia and North Florida. After visiting family there her whole life, she relocated to the island of Palm Beach, Florida as a young adult and traded shady oaks and camellias for palm leaves and hibiscus. After a good long stretch of beach time, she now spends most of her time nestled back home in the South in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, Georgia. She has been in freelance creative services specializing in branding and social media since 2007, working with retailers, designers, and creative brands large and small. She has been blogging for over six years and in self-publishing even longer – she even takes on the occasional freelance writing gig. Jess likes live music, cooking with friends, and painting her nails insane colors. She does not like mosquitoes or phony baloneys.